Thursday, September 23, 2010

"Child it must be a full moon- Cuz someone be flocking to you"

I used to work on an Alzheimer's unit at a nursing home for 4 years, I did my nursing leadership rotation on the Psych ward at Northwestern Memorial in downtown Chicago, and yet it still ceases to amaze me how many new types of "characters" there are in the world...

So, my roommate has a co-worker/co-volunteer at St. Mary's Community Center whose a "little more than special." Its very hard to explain it with words.   She probably has moderate-severe learning and communication disorders, and has probably only had less than half of an elementary school education. 

A few weeks ago, this person- Ms. V (as we'll call her) had an infected hangnail.  She then proceeded to go to a less than reputable beauty salon and got some acrylic nails put on over them.  Needless to say, this made matters worse.  When she finally went to a doctor- he had to take her whole thumbnail off, and since she was all out and about over the community, she was also infected with MRSA.  Now, almost everybody carries MRSA not too big of a deal.  But, it is a big deal to children, elderly or other immunocompromised people. 

Keep in mind that this woman volunteers at a community center that offers services to the elderly, homeless, impoverished and houses a preschool- Not to mention a food pantry where Ms. V HANDLES and TOUCHES all the food. 

Although her thumb is wrapped up, it oozes and is very dirty since she doesn't understand that she is supposed to keep it dry... So it would not be so bueno for the CDC.  Hearing about the situation I volunteered/was asked to go re-wrap her thumb.  I am still getting used to this "laid back" community setting.  For starters, I was wrapping this on someone's office desk.  Even more exciting, she could not sit still after I took the old bandage off- she kept wanting to show everyone, and was getting up and touching everything.  Reminder: Her wound was colonized MRSA.  After putting her hand literally 2 inches from another co-workers eye, I finally got her to sit down.  Its moments like these where I'm glad I don't have panic attacks.   Technically overall,  It was no big deal, she had her Petroleum gauze, dry gauze, and Colban wrap from her doc, so it was easy to do, once she sat down.  As I was conversing with her she asked me if she could still do everything at her job.  Knowing this would be difficult, I told her that she had a dangerous bacteria on her hand, and we needed to be careful.  I explained to her that she shouldn't be touching any of the food pantry food, or the containers they were handled in. 


After I was done, she was a little upset, but her supervisor went over to talk to her and further explained that she needed to take some rest at home until her wound was healed.  the supervisor motioned me to leave, and I collected my kit and headed out. 

Later that day when I went to pick up mu roommate Linda- I learned some interesting background on Ms. V.  Apparently, Ms. V used to be married.  Her life was swell until one day, Ms. V came home to find her husband in bed with another woman.  She startled the two, and was eerily quiet when the husband "tried to explain." So, doing the most logical thing she could think of- She went to the kitchen, grabbed a steak knife and chased the two naked "adulterers" out of the house.   I also learned that Ms. V. worked at a local hospital and was reportedly fired from that job after she pulled a knife out on a co-worker. 

Ms. V can be quite argumentative with the clients who come into the community center as well.  Apparently, awhile back- Ms. V. got into a loud verbal argument with a client. Sr. Pat (the main head lady in charge of the clinic) stood inbetween the two and tried to calm them both down.  However, when Ms. V took a swing at the client she wound up hitting Sr. Pat instead and nearly knocked her out.  I'm glad that I learned this after I took care of her...

No comments:

Post a Comment